Philomena is an experienced integrative, BACP-accredited counsellor and psychotherapist. She works with adults and young people from many different backgrounds, exploring a wide range of issues.
I can help with...
- Anger management
- Bereavement and loss
- Emotional abuse
- Existential crises
- Family issues
- Loneliness and isolation
- Low mood
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Major life changes
- Panic attacks
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Relationship difficulties
- Separation and divorce
- Sexual abuse
- Social anxiety
- Suicidal thoughts
- Traumatic childhood
- Work-related issues
Types of client I see
- Young people
Languages I speak
- Room 1 at Elizabeth House, 39 York Road, London SE1 7NQ
Types of therapy I offer
- Integrative psychotherapy/counselling
- Person-centred psychotherapy
- Psychodynamic psychotherapy
- Relational psychotherapy
I believe when problems arise in life, and you are troubled or unsure what to do, counselling can help you understand yourself better and help improve your happiness and wellbeing.
Counselling is about helping you to help yourself overcome the difficulty and pain you are experiencing now. It can also lead you to a clearer understanding of how the past may be preventing a happier and more fulfilled life in the present.
My integrative-based approach enables me to help my clients look at what is causing them concern from various perspectives. My way of working is first and foremost based on respect for the client. I provide a confidential and safe place for feelings to be heard, acknowledged and allowed.
Our work together will start with an initial assessment. This is to find out whether counselling is right for you at this time. This is an important starting point. It gives you an opportunity to discuss the problem you would like help with and to explore the sort of help you need. It is important for you to have the opportunity to get to know me and decide if I am the right therapist for you.
My aim is to facilitate an environment where you can feel enabled to express your feelings freely without judgement.
Training, qualifications and experience
My formal training includes:
- BSc (Hons) in Integrative Counselling – University of Roehampton
- Diploma in Humanistic Counselling and Psychotherapy – University of Roehampton
- Diploma in working with Adolescents – WPF Therapy
- Extensive training and continuing professional development in bereavement and loss
For the past 10 years, I have worked as a private practitioner counselling adults and young people. I have also worked as a staff counsellor in a large NHS trust, as a founding member of a local bereavement service, as a voluntary adult and youth counsellor at the Wimbledon Guild and as a school counsellor at a large secondary school in south west London.
I am a fully accredited member of the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP).
Code of ethics
I adhere to the BACP Ethical Framework for the Counselling Professions.
Fees and availability
I offer short-term and long-term counselling depending on your needs from both my central London (SE1) and Wimbledon (SW20) offices.
- Individuals: £75 for a 50-minute session in SE1 (£60 in SW20)
- Young people: £50 for a 50-minute session
- Concessions are sometimes available, dependent on circumstances
- Counselling sessions usually take place at a set day, time and place each week