Agnes is a psychosexual and relationship therapist. Her background is in sexual health, specialising in sexual function. She sees adults experiencing problems in their relationships and sex lives.
Types of therapy I offer
- Cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT)
- Psychosexual psychotherapy
I can help with...
- Affairs and betrayals
- Female genital mutilation (FGM)
- Relationship difficulties
- Sexual problems
Types of client I see
Languages I speak
- Room 11 at 37–41 Gower street, WC1E 6HH
Seeking help for difficulties in one’s sexual and relationship difficulties can be a daunting task for a lot of people, as this is such a private part of our lives. Most people with difficulties in their intimate relationships may feel embarrassed talking about them; yet talking is the best way to get the change that is sometimes required. Relationships can be difficult; we can be overwhelmed by feelings of anxiety, sadness, loneliness and loss of connection. Couples may find themselves arguing more and talking less, avoiding discussing difficult issues, or just feeling stuck and not able to move on.
Having a successful relationship is not a matter of luck. A lot of nurturing goes into maintaining that bond. Couples are normally resourceful in resolving issues themselves – yet at times, despite our best efforts, we may need a helping hand. Individuals may avoid forming relationships due to their sexual problems.
Therapy may help to bring a different perspective and create new possibilities.
Exploring relationship and sexual difficulties in a private, caring, supportive and compassionate environment can:
- help provide insight into relationship patterns
- help couples express themselves emotionally and sexually
- develop the skills to communicate effectively
- develop strategies to solve problems effectively
- resolve specific sexual dysfunctions
Therapy also provides people with life skills to manage difficulties should they arise in future.
In most cases, sexual difficulties do not exist in isolation; they may be a result of relationship issues, physical conditions, psychological problems or a combination of all of these factors. A programme tailored to each individual or couple’s circumstances is essential in achieving desired goals set by clients themselves.
Specific issues I can help with
- relationship issues
- sexual knowledge: anatomy and physiology
- sexual difficulties following illness, surgery, FGM
- erectile difficulties
- ejaculation problems
- penetration difficulties
- orgasmic problems
- sexual desire
- painful intercourse
Training and qualifications
- Post Graduate Diploma in Psychosexual Therapy: Relate Institute (accredited by University of Hull)
- Msc in Relationship Therapy: Relate Institute (accredited by University of Hull)
- Diploma in General Nursing: Maluti School of Nursing
- Diploma in Midwifery: Maluti School of Nursing
- BA in Nursing Science: University of South Africa (UNISA)
- Current training: Advanced Diploma in Couples Therapy: NAOS Institute
I have worked in the NHS as a psychosexual therapist for 6 years, where I still work as a sexual health nurse running a nurse-led sexual function clinic. This involved therapeutic intervention for people with sexual difficulties, as well as providing options for them to use medication where required.
My interest in sexual function led me into training as a psychosexual therapist. This has given me an advantage in understanding different factors involved in sexual difficulties, which may be a mixture of psychological as well as physical factors, and therefore tailor a programme specific to each person or couple’s circumstances.
I am registered with COSRT (College of Sexual and Relationship Therapists) as a psychosexual therapist.
I also belong to BASHH (British Association of Sexual Health and HIV) as a committee member in a sexual dysfunction special interest group.
I abide by the COSRT code of ethics and practice.
Fees and availability
- £90 for a 50-minute session
- sessions on Saturdays
- 10 minutes’ free consultation over the phone prior to booking an appointment is recommended