David is a UKCP-registered psychotherapist. He works with adults and teenagers providing both short-term and longer-term therapy for a very wide range of issues.
Types of therapy I offer
- Cognitive hypnotherapy
- Eye movement desensitisation and reprocessing (EMDR)
- Integrative psychotherapy/counselling
- Neuro-linguistic programming (NLP)
- Online counselling
- Person-centred psychotherapy
- Solution-focussed brief therapy
- Time Line Therapy
I can help with...
- Addictions – alcohol, drugs, etc
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Bereavement and loss
- Bipolar disorder
- Body image
- Borderline personality
- Career coaching
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Communication skills
- Compulsive hoarding
- Coping with chronic ill health or chronic pain
- Coping with a terminal illness
- Creative blocks
- Dissociative disorders
- Eating disorders
- Educational performance
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Gender issues
- Identity issues
- Insomnia and sleep problems
- Internet addiction
- Lack of energy
- Low mood
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Major life changes
- Obsessive–compulsive tendencies
- Panic attacks
- Personal development
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Relationship difficulties
- Separation and divorce
- Sex addiction
- Sexual abuse
- Sexual problems
- Social anxiety
- Somatic illnesses
- Suicidal thoughts
- Traumatic childhood
Types of client I see
- Young people
- Older people
- Trainee and qualified clinicians
Languages I speak
- Room 2 at Elizabeth House, 39 York Road, London SE1 7NQ
My approach is person-centred, which means that I meet you as the unique individual you are. As such there is no standard format.
With some clients the work is mainly past-focused, exploring and resolving issues from the past that are the reason for current distress. With other clients the work is more present and future-oriented – helping you develop/strengthen the resources and strategies required to achieve your desired therapeutic goals.
Importantly, the work is always guided by my client’s needs. While many clients come to see me to help with issues such as depression, anxiety and phobias, hypno-psychotherapy also has an impressive track record in helping people with more overtly physical problems (such as IBS, migraine, eczema, tinnitus to name a few).
I am also an EMDR-trained therapist. EMDR is a very effective way of working with trauma, PTSD and pain that has not responded to conventional pain management approaches. Additionally, I also work with flower essences, which can be of great assistance in the healing journey.
Above all I work in a very flexible way, tailoring the work to each individual’s needs.
Training and qualifications
- Certificate in Curative Hypnotherapy – awarded by the Curative Hypnotherapy Examination Committee
- Diploma in neuro-linguistic programming (NLP) – awarded by the UK Training Centre
- Master Practitioner in NLP – awarded by Pace Personal Development and Grinder DeLozier & Associates
- Diploma in Hypno-psychotherapy – awarded by the National School of Hypnosis and Psychotherapy (NSHP now part of the National College of Hypnosis and Psychotherapy)
- Advanced Diploma in Hypno-psychotherapy – awarded by the NSHP
- UKCP pathway (including human development and sexuality, ethics, counselling skills, research dissertation) completed with the National College of Hypnosis and Psychotherapy
- Hypnotherapy Practitioner Diploma – awarded by NCFE (a nationally recognised independent awarding body)
- Diploma in Vibrational Medicine – awarded by The International Federation for Vibrational Medicine
- EMDR-trained therapist (training approved by EMDR International Association and EMDR Europe Association)
In addition to these formal trainings I have attended numerous continuing professional development courses led by some of the finest therapy trainers including Dave Dobson, Stephen Gilligan, Stephen Brooks, Tad James and Robert Dilts.
I first trained in hypnotherapy in the early 1980s and practiced for a number of years before moving into commercial and social policy qualitative research (working with many of London’s finest advertising agencies, government departments and NGOs).
In the mid 2000s I began an advanced training in hypno-psychotherapy and finally qualified as a registered psychotherapist in 2011. I now run a private practice and continue to conduct a few social policy and related research projects.
I am an approved volunteer therapist for Anxiety UK (the leading charity for anxiety disorders) and was a Trustee of the charity from 2013 to 2016.
I also currently serve on UKCP’s College of Hypno-Psychotherapists committee and am a past Chair of the British Flower and Vibrational Essences Association.
- Registered with the United Kingdom Council for Psychotherapy (Registration No. 2011162199)
- Fellow of the National Society of Hypnosis and Psychotherapy
- Full Member of the National Council for Hypnotherapy
I abide by the code of conduct set out by all my professional organisations.
- £80 per session – sessions are up to 60 minutes’ duration
- Concessions available
- Anxiety UK clients – fees vary from £15