David has extensive experience of working with individuals and couples. He uses an integrative and existential approach, whereby there is a sense that life could be better or different. He is also a clinical supervisor.
I can help with...
- Addictions – alcohol, drugs, etc
- Affairs and betrayals
- Bereavement and loss
- Body image
- Family issues
- Gender issues
- Homesickness and expat identity
- Identity issues
- Internet addiction
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Major life changes
- Masculinity and men’s issues
- Perfectionist traits
- Personal development
- Procrastination and 'stuckness'
- Relationship difficulties
- Separation and divorce
- Sex addiction
- Sexual problems
- Social anxiety
- Work-related issues
Types of client I see
Languages I speak
- Room 116 at Chandlery Cottage, 50 Westminster Bridge Road, London SE1 7QY
Types of therapy I offer
I have over 25 years’ experience of working with individuals and couples.
I can help people with a wide range of issues. Perhaps:
- you have a sense of unease with a past or present situation?
- you are experiencing a current crisis that feels daunting?
- the meaning you ascribe to aspects of day-to-day life has changed?
My therapeutic orientation is integrative, influenced by existential–phenomenological thinking.
In practice I aim to create a compassionate, safe and confidential environment in order to develop a working partnership. This allows my clients to better understand and clarify their views and values about life and experience of living.
This journey calls for personal honesty and reflection on responsibilities. I believe psychotherapy creates opportunity for insights and extends a capacity for choice and decision, within the context of the unique dilemmas being considered.
It is a space where my clients can consciously embrace and change how they would like to live.
Each person has individual needs and I have experienced using a short-term brief therapy model (6–12 weeks) and an open-ended long-term basis with a wide range of presenting issues to support my clients in finding their solutions.
NB – The addictions I specialise in helping people with include shopping, collecting and pornography.
Training, qualifications and experience
- Certificate in Existential Group Work (2004)
- Certificate in Existential Supervision & Training (2001)
- Advanced Diploma in Existential Psychotherapy (1997–98)
- Diploma in Counselling (1995–97)
- Introduction to Existential Counselling and Psychotherapy (1994)
- Certificate in the Fundamentals of Psychotherapy and Counselling (1993)
- BA (Hons) in 3D Design (1985)
In the past I have worked therapeutically in a number of agencies and charities. These have included:
- Confederation of Indian Organisations (UK)
- Capio Nightingale Hospitals
- The London Lighthouse
- The Terrence Higgins Trust
- Open University
Alongside these I have had private practices in London, Amsterdam and Copenhagen. I have developed my psychotherapeutic practice by working both face to face and online with individuals, couples and groups. This has been enriched by supportive and exploratory supervision together with continuing professional development.
I have also supervised many groups of students enrolled on the doctoral programmes at The New School of Psychotherapy and Counselling over the last 18 years.
- Registered with the UK Council for Psychotherapy (UKCP) since 1998
- Humanistic and Integrative Psychotherapy College
- I have held a European Certificate of Psychotherapy since 2009, issued by the European Association for Psychotherapy (EAP)
- I was registered with Nederlands Gilde Voor Health Counselling en Psychotherapie (NGVH) from 2009 to 2012
Code of ethics
I follow the UKCP ethical principles and code of professional conduct and the EAP ethical principles.
Fees and availability
- Individual sessions (50 minutes) – £80
- Couple sessions (60 minutes) – £95
- Some concessions available for students in psychotherapy training
- Payment by cash or internet banking
- Monday–Friday, daytime or evening
- I offer therapy face to face, or via Skype or telephone
Cancellation policy: 48 hours’ notice, otherwise payment is required.