Elena is an HCPC-registered counselling psychologist and a chartered member of BPS. She specialises in family and systemic-relational psychotherapy and in EMDR therapy.
I can help with...
- Addictions – alcohol, drugs, etc
- Bereavement and loss
- Body image
- Domestic violence
- Eating disorders
- Family issues
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Panic attacks
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Pregnancy, birth and loss
- Relationship difficulties
- Separation and divorce
- Traumatic childhood
Types of client I see
Languages I speak
- Room 607 at Chandlery Cottage, 50 Westminster Bridge Road, London SE1 7QY
- Room 27 at 175–7 Borough High Street, SE1 1HR
Types of therapy I offer
- Eye movement desensitisation and reprocessing (EMDR)
- Family/systemic therapy
- Relational psychotherapy
I work within a systemic-relational approach, in which the person is considered interwoven with the relational context. Functional relationships and healthy communication are fundamental to a person’s wellbeing. We may begin by looking at one’s present situation in the here and now followed by an exploration of the significant individual and family life cycles, particularly critical transition points connected to life events and developmental tasks (such as births, losses, separations).
People grow, develop and change. A life event is not ‘critical’ in itself but in the way it interacts with one’s background and personal characteristics. It is essential to explore these differences and welcome them in a safe environment.
In addition to dialogue, I use specific systemic techniques such as body sculptures, narrative /photographic genogram and collage.
I also use EMDR (eye movement desensitisation and reprocessing), a psychological treatment method that was developed by an American clinical psychologist, Dr Francine Shapiro, in the 1980s.
Since then a wealth of research has been conducted demonstrating its benefits in treating psychological trauma arising from experiences as diverse as war related experiences, childhood sexual and/or physical abuse or neglect, natural disaster, assault, surgical trauma, road traffic accidents and workplace accidents. Since its original development, EMDR is also increasingly used to help individuals with other issues (chronic pain, complicated grief, addictions, phobias) and performance anxiety. (source: EMDR Europe, EMDR UK & Ireland)
In the initial consultation, I will define, together with you, the most suitable pathway to follow, according to needs and objectives for both the short and long-term achievements you are after.
My aim is to create a therapeutic relationship with clients in a safe, confidential and welcoming environment, where they can face their difficulties freely.
I have developed a flexible approach to deal with very complex and diverse situations, encouraging changes in the emotions, thoughts, attitudes, behaviours and relationships that cause distress. I help people to recover balance and psychological well-being by building resources to enable them to achieve their potential.
Training, qualifications and experience
- 2016 – ESTSS (European Society for Traumatic Stress Studies) Certificate in Psychotraumatology, London, UK
- 2016 – EMDR (Eye Movement Desensitisation and Reprocessing) Training, London, UK
- 2009 – Training course in Forensic Psychology “Technical Consultancy and Psychological Evaluation”, Florence, IT
- 2008 – Postgraduate course in Family and Systemic-Relational Psychotherapy at C.S.A.P.R. (Centro Studi e Applicazione della Psicologia Relazionale), Prato and Rome, IT
- 2002 – Postgraduate course “Social Worker in Adoption and Fostering”, Florence, IT
- 2000 – MD in Psychology, University of Florence, IT
I began my postgraduate training in 2000 with the Italian League for the Fight Against Cancer, where I dealt with issues related to palliative care and smoking. As a group facilitator I worked with parents of adolescents facing drug or gambling addiction.
Since 2001, I have provided individual psychological counselling and support.
My training in family and systemic-relational psychotherapy has allowed me to work with couples and families within the Family Therapy Centre of the Italian NHS for 11 years.
I have contributed to the implementation of an innovative project dealing with conflicted families undergoing separation, with children at risk.
During this period I co-founded the Professional Association of Psychologists (‘Famiglie al Centro’), where I collaborated with several other professionals such as paediatricians, psychiatrists, nutritionists, physiotherapists, and family lawyers.
I was an expert witness for the Court of Florence, specialised in cases of separation and child custody.
I also have experience in education, both as a psychologist (providing supervision to teachers in primary and secondary schools, psychological counselling to parents as well as interventions to deal with bullying behaviour) and as a teacher (I taught social sciences in secondary school for 12 years).
During my clinical practice I provided both direct supervision and indirect clinical and professional supervision to trainees, less experienced practitioner psychologists as well as teachers of primary and secondary schools.
I am also a volunteer in a charity that promotes the respect, dignity and wellbeing of children, teenagers, adults and families living with and affected by HIV.
- HCPC (Health & Care Professions Council) Registered Counselling Psychologist
- Chartered Member of BPS (British Psychological Society)
- Member of AFT (Association for Family Therapy and Systemic Practice)
- Member of EMDR Association Uk & Ireland
- Member of EMDR Europe
- Member of ESTSS (European Society for Traumatic Stress Studies)
Code of ethics
I abide by the BPS code of ethics and conduct and HCPC standards of conduct, performance and ethics.
Fees and availability
- £80 for individual sessions (50 minutes)
- £95 for couple/family sessions (60 minutes)
I’m available at Waterloo Wednesdays from 2:30pm to 10pm
To make an appointment or for further information, please contact me on 07873 541 628 (please leave a message and I will call you back) or email me at email@example.com.
I currently operate a 24 hours’ cancellation policy. Sessions will be otherwise chargeable.